Monday, April 23, 2012

Coming Out

After weeks (actually years) of thinking about homeschooling, we finally made the decision. I say we, meaning my husband and myself, but quite honestly this is my circus. I can't blame him. I am the teacher, the expert when it comes to this stuff. He is an RN. I definitely defer to him with all things medical. But I have to say, he has been supportive and even a little excited about this homeschooling thing! So after lots of research, figuring out what needs to be submitted to the district, what I will be held accountable for, finding local homeschool groups, finding local activities to keep Mommy sane, it is time to come out. Although I feel very strongly about doing this and I have all the right data and big vocab words to back it up, I am nervous. So I run it past some of my closest friends first, because I know they'll be supportive. I could tell them I want to shave my head & have a tye dye mohawk and they'd be supportive! But that's why we have close girlfriends right?! And of course they are. Next are the Grandparents. This is sticky to say the least! The reaction was interesting. Finally, I had to come out to the public schools. My 7 year old already attends the local public school (where I am PTA Vice President by the way). I have spent the better part of 2 years volunteering in that school, creating programs, assisting with programs, yadda yadda. I was very nervous anticipating the Principal's reaction. Again, I was pleasantly surprised. So I guess the moral of the story is, put a little faith in people. They may (and usually do) surprise you. I am sure to run across some more opposition along the way, but who doesn't? Going against the status quo is never easy. But if you believe in yourself and believe in what you are doing, that is all that really matters. I feel enthusiastic about education again. I am renewed in my commitment to teach. I am giddy with excitement over the endless possibilities for learning. So I guess this is the last step of my coming out process......................My name is Kelly, and I am going to homeschool my children next year.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Kelly! I think the girls will love it - good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes!

    BTW - girls' weekend this year...? Something to ponder ... :)

    ReplyDelete