Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Curriculum

Because I am an 'A' Type planner personality, it is getting a little late for me NOT to have all my ducks in a row. I know, I know, I'm crazy. Put it this way, I have the first 5 months of my Girl Scout Troop meetings planned already (which doesn't start until October)!!! I am currently planning a Disney trip that is over a year away. I am getting better about this however, after being married to one of the most laid back people I know for almost 13 years. He's the type that throws a tee shirt and underwear in a bag and says 'let's go!' This gives me mini heart attacks!

But when it comes to homeschooling, I've got a framework in mind, but nothing PLANNED. Everyone keeps asking me what curriculum I will follow. I'm not sure I need a curriculum. I know this sounds crazy, and maybe because I am a teacher I'm a little less worried about that, but I truly believe in natural environment learning. I know what a kindergartener and second grader should be learning for the most part. I can look up the state standards online to check myself. But I haven't planned out, in excruciating detail, what we will do everyday. It's amazing. And liberating. Not being chained down to a schedule!

For those of you who know me (and those of you who are like me), you understand how monumental this non-planning is. I don't think it's procrastination either. I am just at peace with the fact that everything will fall into place. Crazy right? I do have a million and 1 ideas. Maybe it's because I can't (or don't want to) limit us to one path. I could go thematic (apples in September, pumpkins in October). I could go by interest (teach everything in relation to Butterflies). I could go by our travel plans (teach based on what trips we are taking that month). I could let the kids decide...NO NOT THAT!

If you were in my position and could framework your child's education any way you wanted, what would you do? Seriously, I want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment